Dates: Aug. 16th – 19th, 2021| Ages 16+
Learn the skills necessary to co-ordinate and lead your own kayak expedition with confidence, while touring the Gulf Islands.
- Pay in full, or pay a deposit to secure your space now and pay your balance prior to course start date.
- Balances are due 30 days prior to an expedition. To pay balance, return to this page and choose “Pay Balance after Deposit”.
- Cancellation due to medical reasons must be accompanied by a doctor’s certificate in order to collect a partial refund.
- There will be no refunds issued if you cancel two weeks prior to expedition date.
- Cost of the course: $960 + GST.
- Deposit: $200 | Balance Due: $760
After 30 years of teaching guides, we are now offering this comprehensive training to recreational paddlers. This four day early season expedition teaches skills you may not know you were missing but that are necessary to coordinate and lead your own friend/family expeditions safely and with confidence.
The trip is instructed by certified Level 3 guides whose mentoring aims to enhance skills in a safe and nurturing environment. Much of the content will be similar to what is offered in our Level 1 Guides Course minus the exams. Registrants will have access to our Online Campus to learn all the fundamentals, view video footage of tidal ferrying and so much more!!
Day 1 of this expedition begins on Cusheon Lake prior to the ocean paddling. This location is perfect for reviewing kayak strokes, braces and rescue and a great warm up before we launch our kayaks on the ocean later in the day. Throughout the trip, guides will teach navigation and chart skills to safely plan and coordinate routes. You will learn to calculate tides and secondary tides plus currents and secondary currents to ensure you are always moving with the flow. The Gulf Islands have many areas where accurate calculations are critical to arriving at the next camping destination safely and on schedule. You will learn to navigate in fog and how to predict the weather using visuals and your handheld marine radio. The latter part of the course will focus on judgement and leadership skills through some scenario based learning.
There are ample opportunities to view abundant marine and intertidal life while our guides share their knowledge of how the many species interact with the surrounding ecosystems. Our exemplary guides will coordinate wholesome, hearty meals including fresh food sourced mainly from local organic growers.