Expedition: Gulf Island Fishing and Training Expedition
Sept 6-9 | Ages: 16+
Learn to plan and safely coordinate your own kayak expedition, while paddling the Gulf Islands angling for edible treasures from the sea.
- Pay in full, or pay a deposit to secure your space now and pay your balance prior to course start date.
- Balances are due 30 days prior to an expedition. To pay balance, return to this page and choose “Pay Balance after Deposit.”
- Cancellation due to medical reasons must be accompanied by a doctor’s certificate in order to collect a partial refund.
- There will be no refunds issued if you cancel two weeks prior to expedition date.
- Cost of the course: $995.00 + GST.
- Deposit: $200 | Balance Due: $795
September is the perfect time to paddle the Gulf Islands with the onset of the beautiful fall colors, less boat traffic and before the salmon runs begin.
This is a four day, three night expedition teaching skills that are included in our Level 1 Guides Course. It is a combination of learning to plan and safely coordinate your own kayak expedition with angling for edible treasures from the sea.
Participants have prior access to our Online Campus for video footage of tidal ferrying, strokes and rescues and to learn all the fundamentals including navigation and chart skills.
We begin Day 1 on Cusheon Lake prior to the ocean paddling, reviewing kayak strokes, braces and rescues essential to ensure safety.
Throughout the trip, we will teach navigation and chart skills, how to calculate tides and secondary tides plus currents and secondary currents to ensure you are always moving with the flow. The Gulf Islands have many areas where accurate calculations are critical to arriving at the next camping destination safely and on schedule. You will learn to navigate in fog and how to predict the weather using visuals and a handheld marine radio.
The latter part of the course will focus on judgement and leadership skills through some scenario based learning.
Our first campsite is on Wallace Island, a fabulous area for hiking and fishing. We then venture into Porlier Pass and camp at our favourite spots in the Gulf Islands between Northern Galiano and Valdes, magical areas for sunsets, wildlife and fishing! During this time of the month, we experience the big tides of the full moon which will enhance our exploration of the diverse and extensive intertidal life that this area is renowned for.
Pay Balance After Deposit $795, Pay Deposit – $200, Pay in Full – $995